This year we will hold PHAA's (Pennsylvania Homeschoolers Accreditation Agency) 24th annual High School at Home Conference. It will take place on Monday, April 15, 2019, from 9AM to 5PM at the Bongiorno Conference Center (430 Union Hall Rd., Carlisle PA 17013; Click here for directions). There are sessions especially designed for parents, homeschooled students, and evaluators.
If you pay before April, the cost is $29.95 for the first person in your family, plus an additional $19.95 for each additional member of the family who will come. The cost includes a buffet lunch and snacks during the breaks.
Who is Invited?
- New-to-High-School Parents: Find out how the PHAA high school diploma works, making the transition to high school from a panel of experienced parents who’ve been there. curriculum options in high school from a panel of evaluators who know what works.
- Experienced Parents: Find out about the getting into college process, preparing students for careers, teaching subject areas at home, and Advanced Placement courses. Also, you can volunteer to participate on a panel for new-to-high-school parents.
- Students: There are sessions and contest throughout the day for you. Find out about joining the Excelsior staff. Prepare for your post-high-school future. Enjoy the contests, whether or not you participate.
- Evaluators: There will be a session about how to use the new online transcript program. There will also be sessions outlining how to award credits for the PHAA diploma and how to be a better guidance counselor. Simply by attending, you get an extra year added to your evaluator membership.
During each of the five break-out session time slots during the day, you will have your choice between three different options. Some are especially designed to appeal to PHAA evaluators, some to PHAA students, and some to parents. For example, at a break-out session for parents who are new to high school at home, a panel of experienced parents will share their perspectives and answer your questions.
Students: This year we are having three student contests at the conference:
- Student Speech Contest. Are you looking for an audience for your annual speech? This year you can give a PHED Talk (similar to a TED Talk…PHED = Pennsylvania Homeschoolers Educational Discovery!) at our student speech session at PHAA High School at Home Conference. Click here, here and here to watch last year's winning speeches.
- Student Photography Contest. Do you have a photography portfolio (10 digital photos) that you would like to share with your fellow students? One of the student sessions at the conference will be a Photography Contest.
- Student Talent Show. Do you have a talent that you would like to share. Give a 3 to 5 minute musical performance; recite a poem or monologue; do magic tricks or a pantomime; dance or demonstrate juggling or martial arts; or more!
What attendees said after our 2018 conference:
- Annette Bannister (grandmother): I attended this conference with my rising 7th grade granddaughter and we both loved the workshops geared to us. I feel more prepared than ever to launch her joyfully into her high school years. Fantastic conference that everyone with a homeschooled highschooler (or soon-to-be one!) should attend!
- Shay Jones (evaluator): The PHAA High School at Home Conference has been a favorite of mine for many years. First I attended as a homeschool mom, then as a presenter, and now as an evaluator! There's always so much to learn and old and new friends to spend time with! I highl recommend this conference to all homeschooling families as well as PHAA evaluators and homeschoolers who wish to share their talents as presenters.
- Sarah Richman (student): I found the student speeches most interesting.
- Katherine Corbeill (mother): Very helpful. The teachers are all very friendly and the environment is welcoming.
- Abby Frailey (student): I liked the Excelsior session because I got to meet a couple staff members, so that was cool.
- Natalie Bishop (evaluator): Excelllent sessions which were helpful and encouraging... I appreciate the encouragement to relax and enjoy the journey so you get to know our children -- their uniqueness as people, their loves, their faces.
- Steven Trettle, Sr. (dad): Excellent conference.
- Steven Trettle, Jr. (student): I found this was much more helpful than in years past. It was interesting and helpful.
- Aldrea Reese-Brown (mother): PHAA's High School at Home conference is a great way to spend a day investing in your student's future. Meeting other homeschooling parents, students and specialists provides the kind of support that would take years to cultivate independently. And it's extremely affordable.
Enjoy the Professionalism
Why should other educators go to conference centers for their conferences while homeschoolers bring bag lunches and sit on hard chairs. This conference treats you right. Enjoy the free buffet lunch, the free snacks during breaks, the sessions that are small enough for you to get answers to your questions, the positive atmosphere, and the professionalism of the day and location.